v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Tue Dec 25 04:53:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Randy Bush wrote:

> Mohacsi Janos wrote:
>> There plenty of organisation who has a dedicated team/person for
>> network management (routers, switches etc.), while another
>> team/person for system management (dhcp, servers etc.). So
>> configuring DHCPv6 requires cooperation which takes time, but users
>> are complaining....
>
> <well intentioned troll>
>
> so, what problems are there with dhcpv6 that differ from those we have
> experienced with dchpv4?  what would be good to know before trying to
> deploy it?
>
> do organizations you know prefer autoconf or dhcpv6?  and why?

Actually we are using stateless form of DHCPv6 to announce DNS servers
with autoconf + static address comfiguration for servers. This is
satisfactory for a small organisation like us (less than 40 persons). We
are testing DHCPv6 also. For a larger organisation (>1000 computer) I will
ask my colleagues about their DHCPv6 experiences....

Best Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi