Using RIR info to determine geographic location...

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Mon Dec 24 13:50:19 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007, at 1:23 AM, James Hess wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007 8:13 PM, Greg Skinner <gds at best.com> wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I have trouble accepting some of the claims the
>> geotargeting companies have made, such as Quova's 99.9% to the
>> country
>> level, and 95% to the US state level.  ( More info at
>> http://www.quova.com/page.php?id=132 ) Perhaps I'm just part of the
>
> The trouble with a claim of "95%" accuracy is the method of
> determining the accuracy
> of the measurement has not been indicated, and there are _many_ IPs
> out there.
> With no method of obtaining the statistic indicated: there is no
> evidence I saw
> that 99%/95%, weren't possibly just made up numbers for the purpose of
> aggressively marketing a product.

Well, I use a geolocation service, and as I travel around to many
fine hotels and meetings,
I try to check frequently to see if it knows where I am, so I have a
few dozen test probes scattered about the globe.

The results are mixed. On US corporate (enterprise) networks, it is
typically unreliable. In-room
hotel networks generally get mapped to the right city. Wireless hot
spots are erratic - sometimes mapped
to better than a km, sometimes wildly off. People's home networks,
generally the right country, frequently the right city.

I would say, overall

- mapping to the right country, probably better than 95% accuracy,
maybe 99%.
- mapping to the right city, at least 75% of the time, for sure not
99%, even if you discount enterprise networks.

Of course, your probable error may vary...

Regards
Marshall