v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Dec 23 19:21:49 UTC 2007

Once upon a time, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> said:
> >> Right now, we might say "wow, 256 subnets for a single end-user...
> >> hogwash!" and in years to come, "wow, only 256 subnets... what were we
> >> thinking!?"
> >
> > Well, what's the likelihood of the "only 256 subnets" problem?
>
> There's a tendency to move away from (simulated) shared media networks.
> "One host per subnet" might become the norm.

So each host will end up with a /64?

How exactly are end-users expected to manage this?  Having a subnet for
the kitchen appliances and a subnet for the home theater, both of which
can talk to the subnet for the home computer(s), but not to each other,
will be far beyond the abilities of the average home user.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>