v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 22 16:49:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:29:54 +0900
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> simon, there are a million chances.  and we are notoriously bad at
> predicting any of them more than a year or so out.

In general, you're right.  But we have ~60 years of experience teaching
us that *every* successful computer architecture runs out of address
space.  I see no reason to think that today's models for home address
space will be the exception (unless, of course, IPv6 is unsuccessful,
but in that case it doesn't matter much what we do for allocation
policy unless our actions are sufficiently stupid to cause the failure).