v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 04:31:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 6:48 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

> And I'm having some trouble envisioning a residential end user that
> honestly has a need for 256 networks with sufficiently differently
> policies.  Or that a firewall device can't reasonably deal with those
> policies even on a single network, since you mainly need to protect
> devices from external access.

I'd agree that 256 at home seems high to me, today... I do have 10
vlans at home but I could be considered an outlier. I'm not sure that
in the future 10 would even been considered small, maybe things split
on room levels, or appliance types or 'needs vendor support' or some
other set of arbitrary policy points. I agree with you below though
that a /48 seems very large for a residence :)

-Chris