Using RIR info to determine geographic location...

Greg Skinner gds at best.com
Fri Dec 21 02:13:17 UTC 2007

Personally, I have trouble accepting some of the claims the
geotargeting companies have made, such as Quova's 99.9% to the country
level, and 95% to the US state level.  ( More info at
http://www.quova.com/page.php?id=132 ) Perhaps I'm just part of the
outlying data; using the "three top search engines" I rarely see them
get the city correct (ie. where *I* am physically located, as opposed
to where the registration data says the block is located), and have
seen some glaring errors for the country in some cases.

Geotargeting has turned into quite a business, and I'm concerned that
people who rely on these services do not fully understand the risks.

--gregbo