v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Dec 20 04:44:14 UTC 2007

--- randy at psg.com wrote:--------
> I work on a network with 100K+ DSL folks and 200+ leased line
> customers, plus some other stuff.  The leased line customers are
> increasing dramatically.  I should plan for a /64 for every DSL
> customer and a /48 for every leased line customer I expect over the
> next 5-7 years?

why not a /56 by default for both, and give them an opportunity to
justify more?

a /64 is a bit old-think unless you are having cost issues getting your
space from above.

Honestly, the space is so big for each block size I don't see why not pick the middle between the two and have all blocks be the same size.  Either type of customer here in Hawaii probably won't get close to using that many addresses.  Would I get any other benefit from all blocks being the same size?

scott