/48 for each and every endsite (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 19 20:58:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> you got a /32 in 2000 and you had 10k customers then you should be fine.
> If you already had 200k customers or so and then only requested a /32
> though I think one can definitely state you made a big booboo.

>From what I have been told by my colleagues, we actually received a /35
back then and the requirement was to have 200 end users, otherwise you
basically couldn't receive a "PA" at all. This was then converted into a
/32 at a later date, I guess due to a change in policy.

So my wondering is basically, if we say we have millions of end users
right now and we want to give them a /56 each, and this is no problem,
then the policy is correct. We might not have them all IPv6 activated in 2
years which is the RIR planning horizon. I do concur with other posters
here that the planning horizon for IPv6 should be longer than three years
so we get fewer prefixes in the DFZ as a whole. Then again, *RIR people
don't care about routing so I am still sceptical about that being taken
into account.

> you will be having. Unless you will suddenly in a year grow by 60k
> clients (might happen) or really insanely with other large amounts your
> initial planning should hold up for quite some while

We grow by much more than 60k a year, it's just hard to plan for it. If we
project for the highest amount of growth then we're most likely wasteful
(in the case of IPv4 space anyway), if we project for lowest amount of
growth then we get DFZ glut.

We would also like to do regional IPv6 address planning since we're too
often in the habit of (without much notice for the operational people)
selling off part of the business.

Then again, with a /32 we can support ~16 million residential end-users
with /56 each, which I guess will be enough for a while.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se