/56 for home sites, /48 for business sites & billing considerations (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Dec 19 20:31:59 UTC 2007

Mohacsi Janos wrote:
>> This would force these places to:
>> a) use bridging to get that single /64 onto their network
>>    thus making firewalling really difficult.
>
> I am not quite sure. My colleague tested NetScreen box with /64
> advertised from LNS. It seems to be working.

If you are routing the /64, thus that it exists entirely on the
clien-side, then it should work, but if you are allocating 1 single /64
to the customer, and eg keeping ::1 as the ISP side, then you have to do
weird magic to make that work.

>> b) get a 'power users' abo, which would thus make people have
>>    to PAY for getting more IP addresses.
>>

> They aready do it. In Hungary, if you are home user you can have 1
> single IPv4 address. If you are a business customer, then your can have
> an address space allocated from your provider. You pay more if you need
> bigger address block....

That is IPv4 and seems to be the case in general for IPv4.
That mentality needs to be stopped for IPv6.

When an ISP is not going to provide /48's to endusers then RIPE NCC
should revoke the IPv6 prefix they received as they are not following
the reasons why they received the prefix for.

Greets,
 Jeroen