/56 for home sites, /48 for business sites & billing considerations (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Dec 19 14:19:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> [..]
>> In my opinion there is two type of users as usually ISP services are
>> marketed:
>>
>> 1. Home user - not really interested in configuration of their devices -
>> they just want Internet (now IPv4, soon IPv4 and IPv6) connectivity:
>> They generaly don't use more than one LAN internally. All their devices
>> are connected either directly to ISP device or to the home-gateway
>> purchased at the cornet. In this case the /64 with autoconfiguration is
>> the best option. User don't have to configure anything (may be enabling
>> IPv6 on their computers).
>
> This would force these places to:
> a) use bridging to get that single /64 onto their network
>    thus making firewalling really difficult.

I am not quite sure. My colleague tested NetScreen box with /64 advertised
from LNS. It seems to be working.

> b) get a 'power users' abo, which would thus make people have
>    to PAY for getting more IP addresses.

They aready do it. In Hungary, if you are home user you can have 1 single
IPv4 address. If you are a business customer, then your can have an
address space allocated from your provider. You pay more if you need
bigger address block....

Best Regards,