/48 for each and every endsite (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 19 13:03:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Can I read from this that you never actually read any of the $RIR policy
> documentation about getting IPv6 address space even though you did
> request a /32 before, clearly without thinking about it?

I never requested IPv6 space personally. I work with routing, not with LIR
administration. I also know that RIR people don't work with routing, and
it shows.

> "new" as in "We already have one, but we actually didn't really know
> what we where requesting, now we need more"

We got our current block in 2000 (or earlier, I don't know for sure, but
2000 at the latest). So yes, we didn't know what we were doing back then.
Then again, I'd say nobody knew back then.

> That is exactly what it is for. Then again, if you actually had
> *PLANNED* your address space like you are supposed to when you make a
> request you could have already calculated how much address space you
> really needed and then justify it to the $RIR. In case you have to go
> back to ask the $RIR for more you already made a mistake while doing the
> initial request...

The world tends to change in 7 years. You seem to like bashing people for
not knowing future policy and changes 7 year ahead of time, which I think
it quite sad.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se