European ISP enables IPv6 for all?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 19 09:16:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> If you see IPv6 as a solution to the exhaustion of IPv4 space, take a
> look at http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/. It may help at some
> point, but many of us see no clear way to get from here to there without
> massive growth in both the RIB and the FIB in the process.

I am actually more concerned with the CPE problem and how to make
autoconfiguration work for end users.

For instance, should we assign /64 to end users and have them do whatever
they need (subnet to /80 if they need more than one network)? We need to
provision routes in whatever routers connect to customers, which I guess
is the FIB/RIB-problem mentioned above?

Is there general agreement that IPv6 requires a router at the customer
prem to scale (ISP doesn't want to know what the end user devices are)?
Also, is it ok to statically assign /64 to end user or should end user be
able to switch addresses (some like dynamic IPs because it's not
persistant over time and like the "privacy" you get by changing IP all the
time).

I haven't been able to find a BCP regarding the end user equipment and how
to configure it, does anyone have any pointers?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se