VSNL CANTAT-3 Optical Submarine Cable

Neil J. McRae neil at domino.org
Tue Dec 18 18:50:10 UTC 2007

So in a former life I experienced first hand this cable between 97 and 99 and it had quite a few issues and outages some that lasted a significant period of time. One of which was a failure in the Iceland region caused by a boat of some description. Id need to boot up my old sparc to untar the mail backup to be sure though.

Its was a great cable for cheap links for EU to US voice but for Internet the additional C.70ms from PP to NYC made it suboptimal however in the late nineties bandwidth was still relatively pricey most trafic EU to US was paid all by the EU SPs and Cantat3 was cheap and had less half circuit type issues than other TAT cables.

Regards,
Neil