Looking for generic OID to transmit free-form text in an SNMP trap

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Dec 17 20:02:06 UTC 2007

I'm looking to do some custom monitoring of a system and the contracted NOC
only supports pings, SNMP queries, and SNMP traps.  My first choice was to
send an e-mail and have their system ingest it, but that's not possible, and
the first two aren't an option, which means I'm looking to send them SNMP
traps.

What OID should/do I use for sending traps with free-form text?  Do I just
use sysDescr?  Or is there another OID that's recommended?

Regards,

Frank