IEEE 40GE & 100GE

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Dec 12 13:05:38 UTC 2007

"Justin M. Streiner" <streiner at cluebyfour.org> writes:

> I haven't read the draft spec yet to see what's being proposed for a
> link budget at 3/4/10km, but that's just as important as the physical
> distance.

That's a really good point, and one which I didn't originally consider
pre-coffee.  :-)

Link budget information on page 4, here:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/reach/Matsumoto_r1_1207.pdf
Relative cost estimates on page 5.

Suppositions for ingredients to link budget are here:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/hssg/public/nov07/cole_01_1107.pdf
(page 3)

I'm kind of looking longingly at that extra 3dB, given the slight
marginal extra cost and my knowledge of the trained chimp quality
mechanical splices that are rife in certain <cough> data centers.

                                        ---Rob