An informal survey... round II

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:16:40 UTC 2007

So with a fairly predictable growth of 3500 routes per month, we're
going to have some issues with the current equipment out there
(despite this being a rather predictable situation...)

So what might happen in three years if we have a sudden inflection
in new routes per month due to use by major backbones of non-
hierarchically allocated address space for new customer additions?
I.E.  If at some time unknown around 2010, ISP's stop receiving
new allocations from their RIR, and instead use of many smaller
"recycled" IPv4 address blocks, we could be looking at a 10x to
20x increase in routes per month for the same customer growth.

Is the equipment being installed *today* and over the next two
years capable of sustaining 50K new routes per month, and if so,
for how long?

Thanks,
/John