"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Aug 29 22:48:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> For a few more months.  What are upgrade cycles like again?  How common are
> the MSFC2s?

I think we'll find out in a few months, when the "internet breaks" in a
whole bunch of places where the admins aren't aware of this issue or
operations have been downsized to the point that things are mostly on
auto-pilot.  I'm guessing there are a good number of Sup2's in use, and
that a good % of them think they're fine...as they have 512MB RAM and on
the software based routers, that's plenty for current full BGP routes.

Anyone want to bet there will be people posting to nanog and cisco-nsp in
a few months asking why either the CPU load on their Sup2's has suddenly
shot up or why they keep noticing parts of the internet have gone
unreachable?...oblivious to this thread.