"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Tue Aug 28 01:46:29 UTC 2007

At 8:50 PM -0400 8/27/07, Jon Lewis wrote:
>Unlike Y2K, the end of the useful service life up the Sup2 can easily be pushed further away in time.
>
>ASnum 	NetsNow	  NetsAggr	  NetGain	  % Gain 	Description
>There's really only 151129 routes you need to have "full routes".  Forcing just these top 4 slobs to aggregate reduces your global table by 3619 routes.  Forcing the top 30 to aggregate frees up 15809 routes.

That's an additional ~5 months at the current rate of new
routes (and current ratio of customers per new routed block.)

There's a lot more than 3500 new customers per month globally
and if we get to the point where they are not coming out of
hierarchical PA space, the new monthly routing growth will
increase dramatically.

/John