"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Aug 28 01:08:49 UTC 2007

Jon,

On Aug 27, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>>> Any reasonably valid way of predicting when we'll hit 244,000
>>> routes in the default-free zone?
>> Real Soon Now?

According to Geoff, the BGP table is growing at around 3500 routes
per month, so we're looking at blowing out MSFC2s in about 3 months
if nothing changes.

And here I was, wondering about 2M routes...

> Unlike Y2K, the end of the useful service life up the Sup2 can
> easily be pushed further away in time.

"Easy" is, I suspect, in the mind of the route injector.

> There's really only 151129 routes you need to have "full routes".
> Forcing just these top 4 slobs to aggregate reduces your global
> table by 3619 routes.

~1 more month.

> Forcing the top 30 to aggregate frees up 15809 routes.

~3 more months.

> Of course there are other reasons to upgrade (better CPU, MPLS,
> IPv6, etc.), but if you can't upgrade, there are alternatives to
> stretch the old hardware.

For a few more months.  What are upgrade cycles like again?  How
common are the MSFC2s?

> It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Yep.  The nice thing about repeating history is you have a good idea
of the whinage that you're in store for.

"CIDR Wars 2.0: This Time It's For Real!  No, really.  We mean it
this time."

:-)

Regards,
-drc

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused ..." -- Elvis Costello