"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Aug 28 00:19:09 UTC 2007

David Conrad wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Deepak Jain wrote:
>> According to this link, which alleges to be from cisco-nsp, an MSFC2
>> can hold 256,000 entries in its FIB of which 12,000 are reserved for
>> Multicast. I do not know if the 12,000 can be set to serve the general
>> purpose.
>>
>> The MSFC2 therefore can server 244,000 routes without uRPF turned on.
>>
>> Any reasonably valid way of predicting when we'll hit 244,000 routes
>> in the default-free zone?
>
> Um?
>
> Real Soon Now?
>
> According to http://www.cidr-report.org/as2.0/ we're at 233,000 routes
> (as seen from AS 2.0 now) and the rate of growth as seen from
> http://bgp.potaroo.net/ seems pretty steep.
>
> I must be missing something obvious (or should I be dusting off my
> unused Y2K survival gear?)

I found that, eventually. I'm only seeing about 227K routes, but
customer routes from wherever the CIDR report is getting data could be
part of the difference.

Where do the FIBs break on older 12000 series and M-series routers? (or
pick the *next* most popular piece of network equipment that is used in
full-routes scenarios).

Maybe I should take a whack at my aggregation idea on an MSFC2 to see
how it does. Hmmm..

Deepak