IPv6 network boundaries vs. IPv4

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Aug 27 15:23:12 UTC 2007

On 26-aug-2007, at 7:56, John Osmon wrote:

> Is anyone out there setting up routing boundaries differently for
> IPv4 and IPv6?  I'm setting up a network where it seems to make
> sense to route IPv4, while bridging IPv6 -- but I can be talked
> out of it rather easily.

Why would you want to do that?

I've been tempted to do it the other way around, though. In a hosting
environment, you can end up with a bunch of /24s dumped on a
broadcast domain with a number of different customers but the
addresses so intermingled that you can't give each customer their own
VLAN. With IPv6, there is enough address space to give each customer
a VLAN and and address block to go along with that, which is a lot
cleaner.