"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Sun Aug 26 20:19:33 UTC 2007

> My understanding is that there are no known algorithms for fast
> updates (and particularly withdrawals) on aggregated FIBs, especially
> if those FIBs are stored in CIDR form.  This is the prime reason why
> all those Cisco 65xx/76xx with MSFC2/PFC2 will be worthless junk in a
> couple of months.

Do we have a real date for when this occurs? If you aren't doing uRPF, I
thought they ran up to 256,000 routes. (I may not recall correctly)

"Fast withdrawals".. We don't have instantaneous convergence right now,
are you sure you aren't talking about "easy withdrawals" (as in, lots of
compute time required per adjustment).

MPLS environments would have additional entries where they are doing
something with VRF or MPLS... the nodes in between wouldn't see anything
as normal.

>> For example, a router with only 1 connection (no matter how many
>> routes being sent by its upstream), would only have 1 route entered
>> into its FIB -- because no matter where the route goes, it can go
>> upstream.
>
> This will cause routing loops for unallocated address space.

This would be addressed in the bogon case.

Deepak Jain