Market for diversity

Jason LeBlanc jml at packetpimp.org
Sun Aug 26 11:25:18 UTC 2007

I agree with this, and many people take the Ts & Cs, MSA, etc the vendor
anyway.  We have a standing habit of reading over our new contracts with
our attorney on a con call, we always edit them, send them back to the
vendor and negotiate on any changes.  Its amazing how much you can get
things changed in your favor if you're persistent.

More on point for this thread, I always have new vendors bring in fiber
maps and show me their paths.  Images of the intended path specified on
the map are part of the contract, including verbage regarding failover
paths.  Once I know where their fiber is, I can look for another vendor
that takes a different path.  Some locations are easier than others of
course.  A lot depends on what the motto is as to where they like to run
fiber, or who they lease/bought their fiber from.

What I find hard to combat are M&A changing operations over time,
overlooking contractual obligations on the vendor's part usually.  This
is a reason we always use 12 mo terms, we can change things fast enough
to beat their changing things for us.  Sometimes we even go back to the
same vendor, just to make sure the new company and contract detail what
we have and where it goes.  Sounds a little tedious, but at least you
know where your circuits go.