"2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sat Aug 25 23:55:55 UTC 2007

> In another mailing list, someone has asserted that "noone believes
> router vendors who say [they can support 2M routes today and 10M with
> no change in technology]".

Haven't we gone over the CPU speed argument recently enough?

> Do you believe router vendors who state they today have "capacities
> on the order of 2 million ipv4 routes and they have no reason to
> expect that they couldn't deliver 10 million route FIB products in a
> few years given sufficient demand."?

Pointless argument, wait and see as it doesn't matter.

If they do then we're fine. If they don't then we
won't have that many routes so it won't be a problem.

> - where do you believe existing routing technology will fall down?

If people sit watching the train crash rather than take avoiding
action

> - what steps will you take/are you taking to limit your vulnerability?

As long as I can afford as big a RP as the next ISP we're fine.

brandon