Market for diversity (was: Re: Cogent latency / congestion)

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Aug 25 19:48:23 UTC 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Andy Davidson wrote:

> Is it not possible to require that each of your suppliers provide over a
> specified path ?  I'm planning a build-out that will require a diverse path
> between two points, and one supplier has named two routes, and promised that
> they wont change for the duration of the contract.  Perhaps I am naive, but a
> promise should be a promise.

Note: IANAL, nor do I play one on TV.

Spell out exactly what you want (read: make no assumptions about even the
most mundane details) when talking to your account rep and go over the
contract and accompanying schedules with a fine-toothed comb before you
sign.  You want to make sure all those details are spelled out the same
way that you provided them to your salescritter and also check for
legalese that gives the provider room to do things like re-groom your
circuit/lamdba/whatever you're buying onto another (possibly convergent)
path without your notification and consent.

Even then, be prepared to take your provider(s) to task and perform due
diligence on those physical routes on a regular basis.  Note that getting
this information in the first place may require you to execute a non-
disclosure agreement.  Check the wording of that agreement as well to make
sure that it won't prevent you from a) performing future due diligence and
b) seeking legal relief if a future round of due diligence shows that the
terms of your contract have been breached.

jms