Market for diversity (was: Re: Cogent latency / congestion)

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sat Aug 25 18:50:22 UTC 2007

Hi, David, everyone --

On 21 Aug 2007, at 17:55, David Lesher wrote:

> And still not getting it. A friend oversees various expensive USG
> networks. They pay for physically diverse routing from multiple
> sources. Yet every year, when they do an laborious audit down to
> the "what fiber, in what bundle, in what trench" level; they find..
> Guess What! Yep, someone has moved this circuit or that one to
> where both pipes are intimate neighbors.

Is it not possible to require that each of your suppliers provide
over a specified path ?  I'm planning a build-out that will require a
diverse path between two points, and one supplier has named two
routes, and promised that they wont change for the duration of the
contract.  Perhaps I am naive, but a promise should be a promise.

Also instead of buying path A from supplier X and path B from
supplier Y, it might be worth buying paths A and B from supplier X
and a spare path B from supplier Y too.  Supplier X must know they
only get dollar N because they can provide both paths.. and in
addition diversity has to matter more than money because you are in
effect paying for one path twice.

Andy

-a

--