Network Operations Guide

Thu Aug 23 15:21:49 UTC 2007

Bill Nash wrote:
> The single most important piece of advice I can offer when building your
> own tools: Never poll the routing table with SNMP. Ever. Any OTS tool that
> says it can, as a feature, well, it's a witch, burn it. (

You mean like the Cisco Route Manager?

*http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6336/index.html
*
I not used it myself but the datasheet does say it collects the routing
tables via SNMP, with the one cavet:

"Prior to a scan, the Cisco Route Manager checks the router's CPU and if
the percentage is greater than a configured threshold then it does not
scan the route table and moves onto the next router."

Sam