Market for diversity (was: Re: Cogent latency / congestion)

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Aug 21 19:40:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I don't think the target customer in this case is really in the market for
> properly physically diverse paths which provide partial 1:1.  The
> target customer seems to be looking for no-frills, cheap Internet.
>
> Customers in a market for properly physically diverse paths with partial 1:1
> probably are already buying Internet from other ISPs.

I was thinking more for Cogent's backbone itself - I fully agree that
customers who need uptime need to multi-home and do their path route
homework.  If a piece of fiber between two POPs on a given backbone fails
and there isn't a redundant path (i.e. both sides of a 'redundant' ring
ride through the same conduit or on different sides of the same railroad
track) and/or the L2/L3 infrastructure isn't robust enough to tolerate
such a failure without dropping customer traffic into the bit bucket,
then that's definitely a design/operations problem.  While customers can't
directly influence those decisions, they can either 1) multi-home to
different carriers, or 2) vote with their wallets and take their business
elsewhere.

jms