Market for diversity (was: Re: Cogent latency / congestion)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Aug 21 15:38:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Or there might suddenly be a reason/market for properly physically diverse
> paths which provide partial 1:1 (ie, some services are guaranteed full backup
> bandwidth, other services get degraded access) IP paths..

I don't think the target customer in this case is really in the market
for properly physically diverse paths which provide partial 1:1.  The
target customer seems to be looking for no-frills, cheap Internet.

Customers in a market for properly physically diverse paths with partial
1:1 probably are already buying Internet from other ISPs.

There is no minimum Internet SLA that all ISPs must meet.  ISPs can be as
bad as someone in the marketplace is willing to buy.