Cogent latency / congestion

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Aug 21 01:02:15 UTC 2007

At 05:43 PM 8/20/2007, Steve Gibbard wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>>Bell uses Cogent in a large way. The second traceroute was from an
>>IP in their AS (577) out.   I am prepending out Cogent, but Bell
>>does everything it can not to use Teleglobe so I am having problems
>>influencing their routes to come back that way.  They also have a
>>very odd path out of Chicago.  This is
>
>Bear in mind that doing "everything they can not to use Teleglobe"
>probably involves local preference.  Local preference comes before
>AS path length in the BGP selection order, so nothing you can do
>with prepending is going to help.

Yes, I realize that.  I think its because they (Bell) pay Teleglobe
for transit, so they dont want to use it where possible.  Back when I
signed up with Teleglobe, I was hoping there were some community
tricks I could use to influence bell's local pref, but because they
buy transit from Teleglobe, this was not implemented.  I think the
only thing I could do would be to withdraw the prefixes from Cogent
or resort to deaggregation so that they would follow a more specific prefix.

         ---Mike