For want of a single ethernet card, an airport was lost ...

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 01:38:28 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au> wrote:

> Oh noes! The terrerists can kill all the airports by installing dodgy
> network cards in a machine!
>
> I wonder if the machine had an RTL8139 card in there? ;)

Well, if it is a mess of legacy equipment in there .. there's a high
chance that everything is connected to a hub, and the faulty network
card was flooding the network and causing collisions.

Now I trashed my last hub several years back so I am not sure if that
is the case, but it is quite plausible .. and the first explanation
that I can think of [besides a worm of course, but the article did say
faulty ethernet card].

--srs