For want of a single ethernet card, an airport was lost ...

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Sat Aug 18 14:48:45 UTC 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 12:09 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> This is rich .. LAX airport shut down for hours because of a PC with a
> duff network card.  Now I wonder which major contractor has the
> contract to set up and run the network at LAX, and how much in damages
> and SLA costs he is looking at, when an airport gets shut down from 2
> pm to midnight.

slight clarification on the fact: I happened to be at LAX around 9PM
that day to pick up someone: LAX did not shut down, domestic flights
were not affected, but all international flights that arrived after
2PM got held up on runways (which led to thousands of cars, which
presumably waiting for picking up friends/relatives, circulating LAX).

Lixia