Do I or RR need dns clue?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Aug 17 22:13:50 UTC 2007

> >> The fact that they're rejecting on a 5xx error based on no DNS PTR is a
> >> bit harsh.  While I'm all for requiring all hosts to have valid PTR
> >> records, there are times when transient or problem servers can cause a
> >> DNS lookup failure or miss, etc.  If anything they should be returning a
> >> 4xx to have the remote host"try again later".
> >>
> >Robert,
> >
> >	Sorry, they aren't giving a hard fail. Its a soft fail, so we'll
> >retry. But after 5 days of retrying, my servers will give up. (And, in
> >the mean time, the mail isn't getting through, so my users are without mail
> >{We store/forward for them} I don't know if the down (hard) server will be
> >back that soon (Its been 2 days as is). But the whole POINT of DNS is I have
> >a 2nd one listed, and they don't seem to care. They are telling me that they
> >want my "primary" one back up and running.
> >
> >			Tuc/TBOH
>
> 	I know this is strange for nanog but if you actually stated the
> 	IP addresses of the mail servers we could look to see if there
> 	is a problem other than what you think the problem is.
>
> 	You havn't stated it here or on bind-users
>
> 	Mark

Hi,

	Just a note to let everyone know its all working again. I was
escalated to someone else in RR and intelligent things came out of their
mouth and its not an issue anymore.

	The initial responder at RR needs a clue, and the bind-users said
I was doing something "moderately bad" at the same time. I'm working out
a tactic to resolve my bent-clue issue. I hope to have that fixed in a
week or so. RR is now accepting my mail despite my "bent clue" and one
DNS server being down.

			Tuc/TBOH