question on algorithm for radius based accouting

Ian Mason nanog at ian.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 12:30:31 UTC 2007

On 17 Aug 2007, at 04:52, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

>>   My question is:  what's the best algorithm for
>> constrcting  broadband access record from radius
>> accouting packets?

[snip]

> They should yield (approximately) the same result. But, to be
> pedantic,
> you haven't accounted for latency within the network.

Somebody should be whipped, either for:

1) If you can find a network where that matters, even in the slightest,
the oerson responsible for the design and/or maintainance

OR

2) You, for making even this aged arch-pedant wince. :-)

Seriously, can I also add that RADIUS interim accounting is almost
essential in this scenario. Real world accounting and session boundaries
mis-match badly making it almost mandatory to use interim accounting
records to get an approximation of what the figures look like from
a billing perspective. I'll also add "watch out for missing records"
- I've found RADIUS to be the lossiest network protocol per foot of
cabling that I've ever used.