Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Aug 17 11:28:43 UTC 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 6:57 AM, Stephen Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 09:07:31AM -0700, Hex Star wrote:
>>    How does akamai handle traffic congestion so seamlessly?
>> Perhaps we should
>>    look at existing setups implemented by companies such as akamai
>> for
>>    guidelines regarding how to resolve this kind of issue...
>
> and if you are a Content Delivery Network wishing to use a cache
> deployment architecture you should do just that ... but for
> networks with big backbones as per this discussion we need to do
> something else

Ignoring "Akamai" and looking at just content providers (CDN or
otherwise) in general, there is a huge difference between telling a
web server "do not serve more than 900 Mbps on your GigE port", and a
router which simply gets bits from random sources to be forwarded to
random destinations.

IOW: Steve is right, those are two different topics.

--
TTFN,
patrick