Do I or RR need dns clue?

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Fri Aug 17 02:18:16 UTC 2007

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> 	Down is there isn't power to it until it gets repaired. So its not
> answering period. A "nslookup" shows "timed-out". A "dig" shows
> "connection timed out; no servers could be reached" (When querying ONLY
> against the down server).
>
> 	So how do I go back to RR, who told me to take it out of my
> NS records, that DNS is supposed to be silently falling back and trying
> again?

The fact that they're rejecting on a 5xx error based on no DNS PTR is a
bit harsh.  While I'm all for requiring all hosts to have valid PTR
records, there are times when transient or problem servers can cause a
DNS lookup failure or miss, etc.  If anything they should be returning a
4xx to have the remote host"try again later".

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC
rblayzor at inoc.net
http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.