Do I or RR need dns clue?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Aug 17 02:26:35 UTC 2007

> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > 	Down is there isn't power to it until it gets repaired. So its not
> > answering period. A "nslookup" shows "timed-out". A "dig" shows
> > "connection timed out; no servers could be reached" (When querying ONLY
> > against the down server).
> >
> > 	So how do I go back to RR, who told me to take it out of my
> > NS records, that DNS is supposed to be silently falling back and trying
> > again?
>

> The fact that they're rejecting on a 5xx error based on no DNS PTR is a
> bit harsh.  While I'm all for requiring all hosts to have valid PTR
> records, there are times when transient or problem servers can cause a
> DNS lookup failure or miss, etc.  If anything they should be returning a
> 4xx to have the remote host"try again later".

Robert,

	Sorry, they aren't giving a hard fail. Its a soft fail, so we'll
retry. But after 5 days of retrying, my servers will give up. (And, in
the mean time, the mail isn't getting through, so my users are without mail
{We store/forward for them} I don't know if the down (hard) server will be
back that soon (Its been 2 days as is). But the whole POINT of DNS is I have
a 2nd one listed, and they don't seem to care. They are telling me that they
want my "primary" one back up and running.

			Tuc/TBOH