Do I or RR need dns clue?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Thu Aug 16 18:16:01 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:40:49 EDT, Tuc at T-B-O-H said:
>
> > Mail to RR users is getting refused due to PTR issues. I contacted
> > RR and explained that yea, one of our 2 DNS servers for the
> > IN-ADDR.ARPA is down, but the other is fine.  They said that
> > I should either get the DNS server back up (Which of course
> > is already being worked on, was the minute it went down)
> > or delete it from ARIN IN-ADDR.ARPA records.
> >
> > Isn't the whole point of multiple DNS servers that if one is down
> > the other can still answer queries? Or am I missing something
> > here???
>
> Depends exactly what your "down" server is doing.  If it's totally not
> answering, the resolver at RR should silently fall back and try the other one.
>
> It gets more interesting if your "down" server is still answering queries,
> particlylarly if it's giving out "I never heard of it" answers with the
> authoritative bit set because it's blown out a zone.  In that case, the RR
> resolver is within its rights to assume that your NS knows what it's talking
> about and believing it.

Hi,

	Down is there isn't power to it until it gets repaired. So its not
answering period. A "nslookup" shows "timed-out". A "dig" shows
"connection timed out; no servers could be reached" (When querying ONLY
against the down server).

	So how do I go back to RR, who told me to take it out of my
NS records, that DNS is supposed to be silently falling back and trying
again?

			Thanks, Tuc/TBOH