Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 16 16:29:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> How many people have noticed that when you replace a circuit with a
> higher capacity one, the traffic on the new circuit is suddenly greater
> than 100% of the old one. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time,
> such as when you have a 40% threshold for initiating a circuit upgrade,
> but if you do your upgrades when they are 80% or 90% full, this does
> happen.

I'd say this might happen on links connected to devices with small buffers
such as with a 7600 with lan cards, foundry device or alike. If you look
at the same behaviour of a deep packet buffer device such as juniper or
cisco GSR/CRS-1 the behaviour you're describing doesn't exist (at least
not that I have noticed).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se