Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Aug 16 14:46:37 UTC 2007

> In many cases, yes. I know of a certain network that ran with
> 30% loss for a matter of years because the option didn't
> exist to increase the bandwidth. When it became reality,
> guess what they did.

How many people have noticed that when you replace a circuit with a
higher capacity one, the traffic on the new circuit is suddenly greater
than 100% of the old one. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time,
such as when you have a 40% threshold for initiating a circuit upgrade,
but if you do your upgrades when they are 80% or 90% full, this does
happen.

--Michael Dillon