[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 16 00:31:03 UTC 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Barry Shein wrote:

>> Then my next question is, what reasons are there where it'd be
>> wise/useful/non-criminal to do it on a large scale?
>
> It's a relatively passive activity when used for ad pages, no one
> forces anyone to look at them. I'm not sure what the problem is
> with that except it seems to offend some people's sensibilities.
>
> If the behavior is used to hide illegal activity such as spamming
> (e.g., botnet use) then that should be more of a reputation issue.

This 'almost' hits the nail on the head.  While domain tasting may
not intend to obfuscate various nefarious activities related to
domain names, it does.  Domain assessments are impeded by a vast
amount of domain name chaff caused by domain tasting.  Domain tasting
represents a significant burden in both assessment costs and
performance.  An unnecessary expense, an unnecessary overhead, and an
unnecessary risk.

As IPv6 is introduced, reliance upon IPv4 address assessment must
transition to greater reliance on domain name assessment.  There are
too many IPv6 addresses and too many translators and proxies.
Attempting to retain an open system makes domain assessment
essential, and an open system seems like the "right thing."

-Doug

To quote Benjamin Franklin, "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor
Liberty to purchase power."