Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Aug 15 15:47:42 UTC 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Or should IP backbones have methods to predictably control which IP
> applications receive the remaining IP bandwidth?  Similar to the
> telephone network special information tone -- All Circuits are
> Busy.  Maybe we've found a new use for ICMP Source Quench.

Source Quench wouldn't be my favored solution here. What I might
suggest is taking TCP SYN and SCTP INIT (or new sessions if they are
encrypted or UDP) and put them into a lower priority/rate queue.
Delaying the start of new work would have a pretty strong effect on
the congestive collapse of the existing work, I should think.