[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 14 03:21:20 UTC 2007

>I picked on example, there have been plenty of examples in the past of
>folks just barely able to come up with 7$/yr for domain registration and
>using donated hosting for their non-profit thing.

I have my doubts imagining someone who is able to afford $500 for a
computer, but not $10 for a domain, but even if we grant that such
people exist, why is it essential for them to use a 2LD rather than
one of the free 3LDs that are widely available?

> I think the root isue is: there is consumer protection today in the
> purchase system, do we want to remove that in the future. Or do we
> want to find another method to crack down on this problem without
> hurting consumers?

This is an unanswerable question because it is based on the false
assumption that the current abusive speculation does not hurt
consumers.

R's,
John