[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Tue Aug 14 02:22:54 UTC 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 12:19 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> I was just struck by a couple of statistics:
>
> [snip]
>
> In January 2007, according to PIR five registrars deleted 1,773,910
> domain
> names during the grace period and retained 10,862. That same month,
> VeriSign reported that among top ten registrars, 95% of all
> deleted .COM
> and .Net domain names were the result of domain tasting.

So, if they charged a $ 1 "return fee," they would either

- produce revenues of several million USD per month (unlikely) or
- cut domain tasting by about 2 orders of magnitude.

This seems like one problem with a simple solution. I am sure that
someone will rapidly tell
me why it won't work, but in an era when an airline will charge you $
40 to $ 200 USD to correct
a typo, I don't see why this is excessive.

Regard
Marshall