[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 20:06:31 UTC 2007

> I picked on example, there have been plenty of examples in the past of
> folks just barely able to come up with 7$/yr for domain registration and
> using donated hosting for their non-profit thing.

It's a shame, they can probably find other benefactors. I doubt
there are many cases though so is the benefit to those few worth
the cost to the masses?

> there is consumer protection today in the purchase system, do we want
> to remove that in the future. Or do we want to find another method to
> crack down on this problem without hurting consumers?

I've not noticed any registrars offering to refund

Still, plenty of smart people are controlling this
so either it's a terribly hard problem or they feel
it's better this way.

I'm sure they could come up with a compromise
such as registrars only get the refund if they
do less than x% per month, the genuine refunds
are likely to fit within a small x that makes
the tasting not worthwhile.

brandon