[policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Aug 13 18:40:32 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, John C. A. Bambenek wrote:
>

>> That's exactly the problem.... "the goal of tasting is to collect pay
>> per click ad revenue"...
>>
>> Ten years ago the internet was for porn, now it's for
>> MLM/Affiliate/PPC scams.  As long as we put up with companies abusing
>> the Internet as long as they are making a buck, they'll keep doing
>> it.
>
> to be very clear, this 'domain tasting' (no matter if you like it
> or not)
> is just using a 'loophole' in the policy/purchase that's there for the
> safe guarding of normal folks. It just happens that you can decide
> within
> 5 days that you don't want a domain or 1 million domains...
>
> So, to be clear folks want to make it much more difficult for
> grandma-jones to return the typo'd: mygramdkids.com for
> mygrandkids.com
> right?

If grandma-jones orders custom stationery and doesn't
manage to spell her name correctly, she'll end up with
misspelled stationery. The main difference is that
a misspelled domain name is likely to be a much cheaper
mistake than misspelled stationery.

A question to the registrars here: What fraction of legitimate
domain registrations are reversed because the customer
didn't know how to spell, and noticed that within the five
day "dictionary time"?

Cheers,
   Steve