weight vs. volume (95th percentile vs transfer in M/Gbytes)

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Wed Aug 8 15:30:11 UTC 2007

Hi Jim,
 well transfer is equivalent to an ordinary average if you want to bring it back into something you can compare.. (so divide by number of seconds in a month and multiply by 8 to get to bits per second)

Average pricing should give you better rates as you can do some crazy bursting followed by periods of nothing and pay a fairly low fee that might for a 95%ile push the measured level up.. of course that tends to mean that the prices are a little higher.

I usually assume that peak (which for most traffic is equivalent to 95%) is about 3x the average.

Ultimately tho these are different techniques and you should bear in mind the above and then apply it to your own situation to work out whether this would represent a cheap or expensive solution.

If you do the conversion to average tho this should be easy to read off your current RRD graphs to work out a price comparison :)

Steve