large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Aug 8 02:07:17 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Donald Stahl wrote:

[...]

> If you don't like the rules- then change the damned protocol. Stop
> just doing whatever you want and then complaining when other people
> disagree with you.

I think this last part is the key.

Remember the old adage: "My network, My rules"?  Have we forgotten that?

Should I not block ports for MS protocols when a new worm spreads
because it would break the E-2-E principal?  What about spam
filtering?  Or a myriad of other things.  Everyone here is breaking
some RFC somehow.  And most of us don't give a rats ass.  Which is
the way it should be.

But when you decide that YOUR violation is MY problem to fix, then
you are just being silly.  And worse, annoying.

Let's all just agree to run our own networks the way we damned well
please, as long as we are not hurting anyone else.  We just have to
define "omplaining to you about things I b0rk'ed by myself" as
"hurting you".  Which isn't a stretch, support costs money, and
costing me money because you screwed up is definitely hurtful.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. To be clear, no, your pr0n site not resolving because I don't
support TCP does not qualify as "hurting you" unless I call you to
complain about it, even if it loses you revenue.