from the academic side of the house

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Sun Apr 29 23:52:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:57:26PM +0200, JP Velders wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:36:51 +0000
> > From: bmanning at karoshi.com
> > Subject: from the academic side of the house
>
> > For the first set of IPv6 records, a team from the University of Tokyo, WIDE
> > Project, NTT Communications, JGN2, SURFnet, CANARIE, Pacific Northwest
> > Gigapop and other institutions collaborated to create a network path over
> > 30,000 kilometers in distance, crossing 6 international networks - over 3/4
> > the circumference of the Earth. In doing so, the team successfully
> > transferred data in the single and multi-stream categories at a rate of 7.67
> > Gbps which is equal to 230,100 terabit-meters per second (Tb-m/s).  This
> > record setting attempt leveraged standard TCP to achieve the new mark.
>
> Mind you, those crazy Japanese do this every year between christmas
> and newyear... ;) Most of the pipes they used also carry other
> research traffic throughout most of the year... This year was even
> more cumbersome because of some issues with the OC192's between
> Amsterdam and the USA...
>
> Kind regards,
> JP Velders

	we -love- the crazy Japanese doing this kind of stuff.
	the US folks seemed to have lost momentum in the past decade.
	while the pipes do get re-purposed on a regular basis, they
	do tend to shake out interoperable problems, as you note above.

	me, i await the spiral loop that includes the southern
	hemisphere ...

--bill