Open WiFi Access Point BCP's???

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 02:07:46 UTC 2007

On 4/28/07, Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net> wrote:

> Anyone have any recommendations for  BCPs or software suggestions on
> running an open community-based access point (or network)?

MAAWG BCPs on walled gardens (probably coming soon if not already out
there).  Quite a few ISPs - Bell Canada for example - are already
doing this on a large scale.

As these coffee shop APs are usually running off a standard DSL line -
its not muni wifi as such - a walled garden should nail abuse very
fast, and encourage sensible firewalling on the part of the coffee
shop owner .. or he'll find that a NAT'ted IP with multiple infected
laptops coming and going out of it might be in and out of a walled
garden all the time.

There's some vendors who concentrate on walled garden stuff - Perftech
(www.perftech.com) for example.  Arbor and Sandvine too have kit that
can be used for this, I believe .. of course, at the edge of an ISP's
DSL network.

srs